Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Lycian Way - Day 0 Fethiye



































































After my reccy in May I am back in Fethiye to walk part of the Lycian Way. I have a few maps and info from the internet, but have done nowhere near as much research as for my caminos in Spain. But I am getting experienced at this, and if it will work anywhere, it is in Turkey - if I get lost, I will just ask someone.


I arrived in Fethiye shattered after more than 30 hours of travelling. I had no phone connection, so I was grateful my flight connections all worked out, the nice young man at customs let me into the country and I rushed to the domestic terminal with one minute to spare. The guy at Pension Cetin waited up for me, and I was grateful for a bed. It is warm, and there was a huge thunder and rain storm over night. It is lovely to walk along the sea front in Fethiye in the morning, it is a beautiful town. I walk up to the tombs, I take the long way through people’s front yards, and up narrow streets full of cats and old ladies. I found one of the starting points of the Lycian Way, via Karakoy.


The tombs are right above the town, being encroached by houses now. I heard an Australian accent complaining about the lack of signage, but you really just have to follow your nose.


I walk back into town, really happy to be here. It is lunch time and the streets now have tourists, although it does seem a bit quiet.


I chat with Michael using WhatsApp, works really well and I send him a google map of where I am. Takes a while to find the link -typical, he's android, I'm apple. Never forgave me for being a Rangers supporter.


I catch up with Mustafa for a cup of tea. I met Mustafa in May. He lived in New Zealand for a few years so we talk about the rugby, as you do. He says business is the slowest it has been in 15 years (he sells real estate) but is hoping a deal with some Russians will come through and pay his costs for the year. Apparently more British are trying to sell than buy.


I check out the museum, better learn a bit about some of the ruins I will see over the next few days. The trilingual stele from Letoon is like the Rosetta Stone of Lycia - written in Lykian, Greek and Aramaic.

1 comment:

  1. I actually visited Fethiye when I was in Turkey too Marianne, but didn't do too much walking there... The photos of those tombs were instantly recognisable.

    ReplyDelete